Recipe by Strawberry Girl
This makes A LOT. I can remember cooking it in a roasting pan. Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole
Top Review by PjD#2
I may be a salt addict because that is what it really needed! I also slow-cooked it. My taste problem could have come from the sauce but unsure. Thanks for the recipe though and next time I make it, I may try to revamp it a little!!
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 (19 ounce) can black beans (540 ml)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 head of cabbage, chopped ((I like medium sized pieces so the cabbage doesn't)
- 3 cups tomato sauce ((I have substituted half of this amount with salsa for a very)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place rice in small saucepan; cover with water and bring to boil.
- Simmer 5 minutes; drain.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat; add beef (or beans) and onion and cook until beef is no longer pink and onions are softened.
- Drain off excess fat. Stir in rice, cabbage, tomato sauce, salsa if using, water, salt and pepper.
- Pour into a casserole dish; cover and bake in preheated 375 F oven about 1 hour.
- Stir and add 1/2 cup more water if necessary.
- Cook 1 hour longer or until cabbage is very tender.
- Makes 8 generous servings.