Perfect Cabbage Roll Casserole
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This was in a local school cookbook, it is super easy and as good as the "hard work" cabbage rolls.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 (10 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded (I use a cheese grater)
- Brown meat and onion then stir the tomato soup and the rice, salt and pepper.
- Layer half the cabbage in a greased 9x13 inch dish, cover with 1/2 the hamburger mixture, then layer the remainder of the cabbage and rest of the hamburger mixture. (Could use only 1 layer of hamburger between cabbage).
- Bake covered at 350 for 1 1/2 hours.
- Sometimes I sprinkle the top with some grated cheddar cheese and pop back in the oven 5 min until melted.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Made it first time exactly as written and we all really liked it, but we all thought it needed some spice. Now I have made this at least five more times. My changes is using one can tomato soup and one can of rotel, sometimes I will also add one or two tsps chili powder. And about 1 cup of beef broth. I also use the uncle Ben's ready rice "butter and garlic flavor" (do NOT microwave it first). I increase the the cabbage by at least one more cup, sliced very thin and then cut the long slices in half. If you end up with left overs then turn it into the best soup by adding some beef broth and spicy V-8 juice.....sooooo good! One last tip serve both the casserole and the leftover soup with hot crust bread!1Reply
Although I don't make it quite this way, it is similar and very good. I add a can of petite diced tomatoes to the cooked hamburger/onion mixture and 1 cup of rice that is not cooked. Various spices that I like, and I use tomato sauce, sweetened just a bit with some sugar that is poured over the layered mixture. I cook the casserole in an electric pressure cooker for approximately 20 minutes after it comes to pressure.Reply
see 13 more