Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I was CRAVING this dish for so long, since I moved to Brooklyn finding a decent Indian Restaurant is not easy. And once I looked the recipe up I couldn't wait for the Marinade Time. Here's a simple 1 POT Recipe...it's not authentic but TASTES JUST AS GOOD AS THE REAL THING!!!!!
- 2 -3 lbs beef chuck (the same meat for beef stew)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon powdered ginger
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Sprinkle beef with salt & pepper; make sure all sides are well seasoned.
- In a Dutch oven or big pot, heat extra virgin olive oil to where it starts to sheen.
- Add beef to pot and brown on all sides.
- Once meat is browned, DO NOT DRAIN GREASE, lower heat and add coconut milk and HALF a can of tomato paste (3 ounces). Proceed to add the REST of the ingredients, EXCEPT THE ONION.
- ***If you don't like your food VERY SPICEY -- Add the Cinnamon or the Cinnamon Stick -- it will cut the heat down, also a teaspoon of sugar will make it even milder***.
- Simmer for 1 hour & 15 minutes stirring occasionally; add diced onion, continue to cook for 15 more minutes.
- *SERVE WITH JASMINE RICE TO ENHANCE FLAVORS*.
This recipe was simple and delicious. I love spicy food, and it was perfect. I made it with some cardamom rice. Thank you so much for this quick and easy recipe! I will definitely make it again.
So easy to prepare. Absoloutely delicious. Superb flavour. Not for the faint hearted however, this one made the lips tingle and needed lots of Raita to soothe the mouth between bites!