Indian Pork Vindaloo
photo by loof751
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 red chilies, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 4 cloves, whole
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 lbs pork fillets
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- To male Vindaloo Paste; Place the ginger, garlic, chilli, turmeric, cardamon, cloves peppercorns, cinnamon, coriander, cumin seeds and lemon juice in a food processor.
- Process for 2 seconds or until all the ingredients are combined and the mixture is quite smooth.
- Trim the pork of excess fat and sinew and cut into cubes.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-base pan; add the meat in small batches, and cook q;quickly over medium heat until browned.
- Return all the meat to the pan.
- Add the Vindaloo Paste and mustard seeds., and cook, to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Note: The Vindaloo Paste can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Whoo boy this is a tasty dish! Rich and spicy and the meat cooked up very tender. I added the water when I mixed in the vindaloo paste and mustard seed with the meat. I cooked it uncovered the last 15 minutes or so to thicken the sauce a bit. Served over couscous for a great meal - thanks for sharing the recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>? Hi! My name is Teresa.? My husband and I like to take RV trips but it seems lately we just us it for vintage motorcross races. I enjoy hiking, snowshoeing, have done some rock climbing but age is creeping up on my poor old bones. Anything to do with the outdoors I enjoy, so why do I live in rainy Washington state? We have 2 wonderful children, both grown. My son lives in LA and my daughter and her husband recently moved back in the area with their little boy...our grandson... who just turned?5 years old. We have a granddaughter who lives close by...she just turned 23 this year. She's a sweetheart.? Life is good when you have a son and a?daughter and they?gift?you with a granddaughter and grandson. :)??</p>