1/1 Photo of Japanese Pork Katsu
A fast and easy recipe from Williams-Sonoma. We love the crsipy and light coating that the panko creates. There is also a dipping sauce. The choice is yours whether to dip or drizzle the sauce over the pork. Lovely served with rice and veggie or salad. Note: I like this pork on its own, too, without the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin or 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 -4 tablespoons ketchup (I used 4 T because I like the sauce sweeter. You decide how you like it!)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot mustard
- 4 pork cutlets, about 1 1/2 pound in total (no bone)
- 1 egg
- 3 -4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup corn or 1/4 cup peanut oil
- steamed rice, opt., for serving
- 1Make the dipping sauce:.
- 2Stir together 1 T. of hot water and the soy sauce, mirin, worcestershire sauce, ketchup and mustard. Set aside.
- 3Prep the pork:.
- 4Place the pork cutlets between 2 sheets of waxed paper or plastic wrap and pound them with a meat pounder until about 1/4 inch thick. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg. Spread the flour and panko on 2 separate plates. Season the flour with the salt and pepper. Also, season the pork cutlets with salt on both sides. Then dip the pork first into the flour, then the egg and last the panko (coating both sides). Press the panko into the pork so it stays put.
- 5Panfry the pork:.
- 6Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just hot and then add the oil. Add the cutlets and fry, turning once, until golden brown on both sides and just opaque at the center (you don't want to overcook pork) - this should take approximately 5 minutes on each side.
- 7Tranfer the cutlets to paper towel to drain briefly, then cut across the grain into strips 1/2 inch thick.
- 8Serve with the dipping sauce and rice.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese Pork Katsu
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.4
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 545.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: