Recipe by KristinV
This combination of spices is popular in Jamaica and adds that this vegetarian and vegan tempeh recipe could be served either as an hors d'oeuvres or as a main dish. I imagine that this could easily be transferred to chicken breast cubes for an omni version
Top Review by nww0921
First time making tempeh. Was worried about boiling it but it turned out great. Loved this! I did cheat and buy the jerk season mix. Also tossed it in a jerk sauce from buffalo wild wings. will make again can't wait to try it different ways
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (8 ounce) package tempeh, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, salt, allspice, pepper, ginger, cayenne, and thyme in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the tempeh in a saucepan of boiling water. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Drain the tempeh and pat it dry.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tempeh and cook, turning frequently, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the tempeh and toss until fragrant and evenly distributed, about 30 seconds. Serve hot.