Recipe by Chef shapeweaver �
Since my SO is on a modified low carb diet and I'm not, I wanted to come up with something Italian that we both would enjoy. And this seemed to fit the bill, please feel free to add or even omit some of the things you would like instead. For this recipe a smoked Italian sausage was used. I want to thank Chef Meg G. for inspiring me to try to make a quiche of my own. :) Submitted to "ZAAR" on June 23,2008.
Top Review by Diamondlil
1/4 cup milk is not enough. I make quiche often and most recipes require about 1 cup milk or half and half for this many eggs. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing. Well maybe the addition of a little sun dried tomato would be good.
- 1⁄2 lb fully cooked Italian sausage
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup milk
- 5 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place margarine in a quiche dish or a deep dish pie plate, place in oven and let melt for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- While margarine is melting, lightly brown sausage, onion and green pepper for about 10 minutes or until onion and pepper is slightly soft, drain if needed.
- Beat together eggs, milk, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper until light and slightly foamy.
- Then add in sausage mixture, and 3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Pour into dish, and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until center is puffy.
- Test for doneness with a toothpick inserted between the center and edge of pan.
- Let set for 10 minutes.
- This will serve 6 with a salad or 4 without a salad.