- 6 small portabella mushrooms
- 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 18 slices pepperoni
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 2 -4 tablespoons grated romano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a small baking sheet with foil.
- Scrape out the dark gills from the underside of the mushrooms and trim the stem off.
- In a small skillet, brown Italian sausage with chopped onion, garlic, salt and pepper, crumbling well.
- Add water and tomato paste and stir until blended.
- Simmer over low heat until mixture thickens and is fairly dry.
- Place mushrooms on lined baking sheet upside down and spoon sausage filling evenly onto mushroom undersides.
- Top each mushroom with a slice of provolone cheese, then place pepperoni and romano on top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and a knife inserted into the center of a mushroom feels tender.