1/2 Photos of Indonesian Rendang Beef Curry
1 hr 10 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This flavorful dish is reputed to be a copy of the recipe served at the Ramayana Room, Hotel Indonesia, Djakarta during the 1960's. The jalapeno pepper is a western substitution. Feel free to use any hot green pepper in your dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 stalks lemongrass, crushed and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and finely minced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 lbs lean beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1In a small blender, combine lemongrass, jalapeno pepper, garlic, ginger, corriander, turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon. Puree to thoroughly blend into a spice paste.
- 2Heat sesame oil in a large wok or frying pan and stir fry beef cubes until browned on all sides.
- 3Add spice mixture and stir-fry until lightly browned and fragrant.
- 4Add onion, green pepper, and carrot and continue stir frying until vegetables are just tender.
- 5Add coconut milk, lime juice and sugar. Stir to blend.
- 6Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender and sauce is thickened.
- 7Serve over steamed rice.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indonesian Rendang Beef Curry
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 523.8
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 133.8 mg
- Sodium 179.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 49.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: