Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
What a spectacular way to serve cauliflower! The whole head is simmered in turmeric water, then stuffed with nuts and spices and slathered with a spicy paste. When it emerges from the oven, fragrant and golden brown, it makes an unforgettable vegetarian main dish. MAKE AHEAD: The stuffed cauliflower can be refrigerated overnight; refrigerate the yogurt topping separately. The warm spices and tangy acidity of the yogurt sauce suggest an aromatic and fruity white with a hint of bright citrus. Try an off-dry but crisp New World Riesling, such as the 2000 Smith-Madrone Napa Valley, or an off-dry sparkling wine, such as the Nonvintage Domaine Ste. Michelle Extra Dry Columbia Valley from Washington State. Recipe is from Amarvilas Resort and Spa, India
Top Review by Roopali
Hi this recipe is ultimate for New Year my in-law's and my parants were over at my house as soon as i place all the appiticers on the table the stuffing cauli was first to go my sister-inlaw asked me later on how you mad it i was so glad other wise you know how in-law are hard to inpress well there were some problems in the making the cauliflower was so hard to stuff (in NY cauliflower are not as open as in India) and than it brooked so what i did was put it together since i made the stuffing little more than cauliflower could take i made a top layer of the stuffing and be open don't strictly follow the recipe you can add some more indian spices. Thank I hope it will be helpfull
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 3 lbs head cauliflower, core trimmed
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup green beans, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Stir in the turmeric and 1 tablespoon of salt, add the head of cauliflower and cook until barely tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer the cauliflower to a large colander and let cool.
- In a small skillet, toast the chickpea flour over moderate heat, stirring, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Scrape the flour into a medium bowl and let cool, then stir in the yogurt, Ginger Paste, Garlic Paste and 1 tablespoon of the oil; season with salt.
- In a mini food processor, finely grind the cashews. In the small skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the green beans and carrot and cook over low heat, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garam masala, cumin, cayenne and fenugreek and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Scrape the mixture into a medium bowl and let cool, then stir in the cottage cheese, Cheddar, currants and ground cashews; season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully stuff the head of cauliflower, packing small amounts of the vegetable mixture in between the florets and in the crannies on the underside of the head. Set the stuffed cauliflower in a baking dish, right side up, and spoon the yogurt topping all over the head. Bake the cauliflower for about 1 hour, or until richly browned. Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.