Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This recipe satisfies the most critical traditionalists! A bonus is the partial advance preparation.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning (sage works as well)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 cups cubed white bread, toasted
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Melt butter.
- Add celery&onion, saute till tender.
- Stir in sugar through thyme.
- (This can be set aside till you need it-refrigerate if overnight) In a large bowl combine your 'prepared ahead' bread cubes and vegetable mixture.
- Pour in the chicken stock and toss lightly.
- Spoon into 3-5 quart crock pot.
- Cook on low 5-6 hours.
- If it looks a little dry and hour before serving add more chicken broth or drippings if you have them.
- Our family likes to add sliced hazelnuts and halved brazil nuts-stir them in (to taste) an hour before serving.
Delicious! I added some carrots, and instead of preparing it in the crock pot I brought the broth to a boil with the veggies and stirred in the bread cubes (stove top style.) I did need to add additional broth (like you mentioned in the directions.)
Unfortunately for me I only have one oven... So, I made this for Thanksgiving, since I did not need another oven, just a Crock Pot. Well, I can not tell you how much EVERYONE loved it! I added apples and raisins! This is the way I will make my stuffing from now on! Thanks Mrs. H! Dr David