Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is taken from Taste of Home magazine. It is a comfort food, quite easy and nutritious.
- 1 3⁄4 cups penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile in a dutch over, cook beef and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomato puree, beef broth, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add spinach; cook for 1 -2 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
- Drain pasta; stir into beef mixture.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; cover and cook for 3 or 4 minutes or until cheese has melted.
This was so quick and easy! I did add 1 1/2 Tbs sugar to the sauce since my DSs are used to a slightly sweeter tomato sauce. I loved that there was spinach in and I got both DSs and DH to eat it! I had to chop it up really small so they would think it was "seasoning" but it worked! Made for AUS/NZ Recipe Swap #58.
This didn't go over like I thought it would. We didn't care for the flavor of the sauce. I did love the spinach adding part though. I subbed kale since my neighbor gave us a ton. Next time I would use a different sauce - more to our liking. I love the general idea that the recipe takes. Thanks so much for sharing! Made for the September 2010 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.
What a truly terrific recipe! I loved the addition of the spinach to this dish. The kids did not even complain (normally they only like it raw in salads) and it cooks up so quickly. Absolutely perfect meal for my family. Thanks for sharing this in the cooking tag games forum.