Hearty Beef and Rice Minestrone Soup
photo by NoraMarie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
10 (1-1/2 cups) approx
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 medium carrots (peeled and diced)
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups beef broth
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 small zucchini (sliced about 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- salt and black pepper
- 1 cup cooked white rice (can use more)
- grated parmesan cheese
- Melt butter with oil in a 6-quart pot (or larger) over medium heat; add in beef cubes and cook stirring occasionally until the beef is browned (about 10 minutes) remove to a bowl.
- Add in onions, red pepper flakes, jalapeno pepper (if using) carrots, celery, Itaian seasoning and thyme, adding more oil and/or butter if needed; saute for about 5 minutes adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking time.
- Add in the browned beef back to the pot along with the water, broth, Worcestershire sauce, canned tomatoes with juice, potatoes and zucchini slices; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered for about 50 minutes, or until the veggies are crisp-tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, then stir in the cooked rice and kidney beans; cook until heated through.
- Ladle into bowls and top with grated parmesan cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!