Recipe by KLBoyle
I was an incredibly picky child but this was the one meal that my mom made that I would always eat... and a whole lot of. You MUST try this recipe!
Top Review by KPD
excellent spin on meatballs!! definitely best served over rice! such a tasty sauce that is tangy, yet sweet!!! it's just dh and i, so only used 1 lb. ground beef, added garlic, serrano peppers to the sauce...yum yum!! thanks for posting another keeper, klboyle!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 pieces bread
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (13 1/4 ounce) can chunk pineapple
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour milk over bread, soften 5 minute.
- Break up bread with fork then beat in egg.
- Add bread mixture, onion, garlic, salt and pepper to ground beef and mix. Shape into balls and brown in oil on med-high heat. (about 5-7 min.).
- Remove meatballs and set aside.
- In pan drippings saute celery, onion and green pepper until softened but not mushy.
- Stir in pineapple (w/ syrup), chicken broth, vinegar, brown sugar and ginger.
- In small bowl combine cornstarch and soy sauce. Stir into skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Return meatballs to skillet and simmer 20 minute or until sauce thickens.
- Serve over rice.