Recipe by AuntieChef
Lighter with the turkey than with beef, and we like the flavor better too. Serve over brown rice.
Top Review by Chef Jean
I really apperciate the healthyness of this recipe, and the herb flavor was great but I felt like it was missing the creamy sauce of a Stroganoff. Maybe adding a little milk of even stirring in some fat free sour cream at the end would help that out. I really love how the onions turned out nice and brown and flavorful without any fat! Made for PAC spring '11.
- 8 ounces ground turkey
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups plus 3 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Add 1 cup water and 1/2 cup of brown rice to a pot. Bring to a boil, uncovered, on medium high heat. At boiling, turn down to low, cover and simmer for 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown the turkey in a non stick skillet.
- On another burner, in a heavy stew pot over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the water. Add the diced onions to the water, and heat until onions are soft and brown. When liquid runs dry, add a second tablespoon of water, and scrape the brown parts from the bottom of the pan to add flavor to the sauce; repeat with the third tablespoon of water. If more liquid is needed to soften and brown the onions, use more water, but don't make it soupy. You just want to soften and brown the onions.
- When onions are soft, add the browned turkey and stir.
- Add the sage, thyme, and pepper to the onions and browned turkey, and stir again. Add the sliced mushrooms and 1/2 cup water, lower the heat, cover, then stir occasionally.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until the mushrooms have softened and the sauce is still there. If too much of it evaporates, add a little water and reduce the heat. Keep it covered if it is reducing too fast.
- Serve over the brown rice: 1/2 cup of cooked rice per serving, topped with stroganoff.
- To make a more savory version: add 2 cups of Imagine Portabello mushroom soup at the same time you add the 1/2 cup chicken broth. Here is the nutritional info that 2 cups adds to this recipe, broken out per serving: 80 calories, 3 g total fat, 0 sat fat, 0 cholesterol, 310 mg sodium, 10 g total carb, 2 g fiber, 1 g sugar, &g protein, 0 % vits A @ C, 2% calcium, 4% iron.