Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this recipe from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that my mom bought in 1969. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of chopped green onions, but I am not a big fan so I substituted with 1 tablespoon of onion flakes. This is great with mashed potatoes. I tried this for the first time tonight and my husband really surprised me not only did he go back for seconds....but thirds also!!!
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded peeled raw potato
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups water, divided
- Mix egg, milk, bread crumbs, potato, onion, mustard, salt, and pepper together.
- Add pork; mix well.
- Make into 24 meatballs.
- Heat shortening in skillet, add meatballs and brown.
- Drain fat and remove meatballs from pan.
- Dissolve bouillon cube in 1 cup of boiling water, return meatballs to pan.
- Cover and cook on low for 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove meatballs from pan again; reserve drippings.
- Mix flour with 1/3 cup of water; stir into drippings.
- Cook until thickened.
- Serve with meatballs.
Delicious! It snowed today and this was the perfect comfort food. I've made this several times, and I always feel they are a big soggy. I figured out today that if you squeeze the shredded potato to get the moisture out before you add it in it really helps. I also added 3 cloves of garlic. It tasted perfect!
Very simple and good. I skipped the potato b/c I was serving with risotto. And instead of shortening I used a little olive oil. I also used dijon. But it was so simple and my kids loved it. I will make again & will try with different herbs, like thyme or rosemary. Thanks!
Made this for my dear hubby and he loved it! I used garlic and herb dry breadcrumbs and added some milk to the gravy part along with a beef bouillon cube for more flavor in the gravy. Served over cream potatoes. Made for a comforting dinner this evening. Thanks for sharing the recipe.