Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1 lb fresh stringless green beans, tips removed,and chopped into 1 inch lengths
- 12 sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in warm water 10 minutes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- additional crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat oil and garlic in a large skillet until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onion, red pepper (optional), basil, and oregano, and cook until onion is tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Drain tomatoes from warm water and chop into strips.
- Add sun dried tomatoes, green beans, and dry sherry to pan and cook 2 minutes, stirring to blend.
- Pour in tomato sauce, then add balsamic vinegar and 1/4 cup water; stir to mix.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes, or until beans are cooked to your preference, adding a tbsp water if it gets too thick.
- Serve topped with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese (optional), and additional red pepper flakes (optional), if desired.
This is a winner. While this may take a bit more effort than tossing some beans in a pan and boiling them within an inch of their life, that effort is rewarded with a flavorful and attractive dish. With all these good ingredients, I'm truly surprised to be the first to leave a review after 2 years. Thanks for posting !