1/1 Photo of Golden Summer Squash
This is a brightly colored, simply prepared summer squash recipe that can be prepared in a matter of minutes, so there is no prolonged sweating over a hot stove! It tastes delicious hot, warm or at room temperature, so you can make it ahead of time without sacrificing any of its quality. This recipe can be expanded into more of a light vegetarian main dish if served over brown rice or barley (or a combination), and topped with the optional pine nuts and cheese. I cut this out of a recent newspaper article.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, possibly more
- 1 1/2 lbs summer squash (cut into 1/2-inch thick slices or cubes, see note)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced or crushed)
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh thyme, minced
- pine nuts, lightly toasted (a handful) (optional)
- 3 -4 ounces feta cheese (optional) or 3 -4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 1Place a large skillet over medium heat.
- 2After about 1 minute, add 1 T of the olive oil, and swirl to coat the pan.
- 3Add the onion and salt.
- 4Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes, or until the onion becomes very tender and lightly golden.
- 5Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- 6Return the pan to the heat and slick the pan with just a teaspoon or two more of olive oil.
- 7Add the squash in a single layer, and cook, without stirring, until very golden on the bottom, for 1-2 minutes.
- 8Toss or stir to flip the squash and continue cooking, undisturbed, for 1-2 minutes longer, or until deeply golden brown on the other side.
- 9Toss in the garlic, and return the onions to the pan.
- 10Mix well, and season to taste with additional salt, if needed, and with a good amount of freshly ground black pepper.
- 11Serve hot, warm or at room temperature, garnished with a light sprinkling of thyme, and pine nuts and/or cheese, if desired.
- 12NOTE: You can make this with any of the thin-skinned, quick cooking squash varieties such as yellow patty pan, zucchini, crooknect, etc.
- 13Peeling the squash is optional.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Summer Squash
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 96.1
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 77.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 2.6 g