Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I used to hate turnip greens until I tried my DH's recipe...This is it! It's really good, and I can honestly say that even the kids eat this one. It's a Must Try, honestly...Sounds odd, but the flavors really mix together to taste addicting! I've even been known to add 2 strips of bacon crumbled and the grease as well...
- 1 (15 ounce) canbush's best chopped turnip greens
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon summer savory
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons flour (optional, but I use it)
- Combine all ingredients and simmer 10-15 minute.
- The liquid may be thickened slightly with flour, if desired.
- If possible, prepare this vegetabe ahead of time. Allow flavors to blend. Reheat at serving time.
Wow, these are really good! Whenever I make greens I always feel they come out just mushy-gross, but these had great flavor. Didn't have savory, but I garnished this fresh thyme. I also used fresh greens. Served with breaded cod fillets (from a box) and roasted turnips/shallots/garlic.
Delish! I, also, used fresh greens and didn't measure well on the seasonings. Maybe put a few too much vinegar by not measuring, but my hubby and I still LOVED it. The kids liked the flavor but not the "spicey" turnip greens (granted they are 2 & 4). I added the bacon and think that put it over the top as a scrumptious side dish.
Made this with fresh greens and fresh savory and didn't find the seasonings at all overwhelming. In fact, I'm going to double them (at least) next time. I liked it best warm and Dh preferred it straight from the frig.