Spicy Okra and Turnip Greens
This quick and easy recipe is hot! You may also substitute collard greens for the turnip greens. The okra, once cut, will thicken the sauce as it cooks. Posted for ZWT 4.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb turnip greens, stems removed and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 12 okra, end removed and cut into halves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped (red is preferred)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Cook and stir onion and pine nuts in oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until onion is tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in turnip greens, okra and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until turnip greens are tender, 18 to 20 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made the recipe exactly as written. I did cook it a little longer, because the turnip greens and okra were still very tough after 20 minutes. I liked the addition of okra to the turnip greens, but I think I'd follow kellyn's review next time and cook the greens like I always do (I'm from the south), adding the okra. I made this for my "greens" on New Years Day! Thanks for sharing!Reply
This is my second okra recipe tonight as I had a big bag from the farmer's market to use and being as I've been travelling around in Africa this week with the Babes on ZWT4 thought I'd make ONE MORE dish. I gobbled the other okra dish up so I though I'd try another! I'm sorry that I didn't have fresh turnip greens and had to use canned ones though. I think it would have been much, much better with fresh. I also think it needed some sort of vinegar and maybe even a little touch of sugar. LOVED the pine nuts (another item I wanted to use)! Thanks for such an unusual recipe! I now know that I like okra cooked in more than one way (fried)!Reply