Prep 168 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Plan ahead these eggs need to chill for at least 7 days before using, that is if you can wait that long, these are sooo good! Use beet juice or water, if you like extreme garlic flavor then add in another few cloves, the cayenne is optional I like to add it in for some heat, if you are using add it into the beet juice mixture.
- 12 large hard-boiled eggs (peeled and cooled)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup beet juice (or use water)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 8 large fresh garlic cloves
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Place the peeled eggs and onion slices in a 1-quart glass jar.
- In a saucepan bring the beet juice or water, vinegar, salt, sugar and garlic cloves; bring to a boil stirring for a couple of minutes until the sugar and salt is dissolved; remove from heat and let cool (about 30 minutes).
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the eggs and cover tightly.
- Refrigerate for 7 days before using.
Mmmmm I loved these. I used the cayenne, went with a few extra cloves (used a head of garlic which I counted as 12) and served with a salad. Then after I'd finished the main and salad went back for a couple more!
WONDERFUL pickled eggs! I didn't use the beet juice or cayenne. I used Splenda instead of sugar. I had to double the liquid mixture because it didn't cover my eggs in the container I used. It took over a week for the garlic flavor to come through but was well worth the wait. Made for Zaar tag.