Can't recall where I got this recipe many years ago, but I've double & tripled the recipe at times to made it for weddings & special gatherings, & it's always a hit! And the recipe can be varied by using a different flavor of pudding! Preparation time does not include time needed to chill.
- 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (3 3/4 ounce) package instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 (17 ounce) can fruit cocktail, well drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, well drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can pineapple chunks, well drained
- 1⁄2 cup coconut flakes (optional)
- With electric mixer, carefully beat Cool Whip, sugar & sour cream until stiff.
- Add instant pudding & milk, & continue beating.
- When well blended, add drained fruit.
- Pour into clear serving bowl & chill.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle coconut over pudding.
A wonderful and truely unique fruit salad. I made for our Christmas dinner and everyone loved it. I made as directed except I did not use as much Cool Whip as it called for. Next time I will cut it down even more, and just use 1 8oz tub. I also used 2 cans of fruit cocktail instead of 1. I added the coconut in with the fruit instead of putting it on top. I especially love the butterscotch flavor, so I recomend using that flavor. Will be making again for sure! UPDATE!!! I made this again for Christmas dinner and this time I used Coconut Cream pudding and left out the coconut in the salad, wow it was wonderful. I so love this recipe and the coconut pudding made the coconut just perfect for those who do not care that much for the coconut taste. Excellent!!
Mmmm, mmmm. I made it exactly as stated. Beware - this stuff is addicting!
Wow is this good! Made as directed but omitted the mandarin oranges and pineapple and used tropical fruit in combination with the fruit cocktail instead. The butterscotch pudding adds a wonderful flair combined with the coconut flakes. Will definitely be making this again. :)