Cook1 hr 15 mins
A moist and delicious alternative to cake, made with healthy, fresh pumpkin. Canned pumpkin fills the key ingredient, but fresh is much better tasting! I always omit the nuts.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar or 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup Splenda brown sugar blend, packed
- 1 cup cooked pumpkin, mashed or 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray standard size loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine sugars, pumpkin, oil, vanilla extract, water, and eggs.
- Sift together dry ingredients. Slowly add to pumpkin mixture and mix well.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- BUNDT: Double recipe. (My personal preference.) Drizzle with a 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, and 1/2 cup butter glaze. Melt sugar in butter. Add nuts and drizzle over top of cooled bundt bread.
- MUFFINS: Recipe makes 18 muffins. Reduce baking time to 35 minutes.
- Freezable for a quick, healthy alternative for dessert.
I tried this recipe as muffins, miniature muffins, and a bundt cake. My family gobbled it up. I don't usually use pumpkin pie spice so I looked on this site for an alternative and found one that called for 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp. nutmeg 1/4 tsp. cloves and 1/2 scant tsp ginger. I didn't have any ginger so just left it out. They loved it.
This was my first attempt at baking with fresh pumpkin and it was wonderful. I'll make it every weekend until the pumpkins are gone.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful bread recipe. The recipe is very easy to follow. I didn't have any pumpkin pie spice, so I used a packet of pumpkin spice instant jello. (pudding) My family loved it , it is a keeper at my house.