1/5 Photos of French Meat Pie
1 hr 10 mins
This is different than the others as this uses crumbled crackers. It comes from RecipeCenter. My DH and DD both enjoyed this variation very much. You can add some garlic powder if you like garlic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (to taste)
- 20 crackers (40 crackers in a sleeve)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I leave out the cinnamon now as my family didn't like it)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sage, more to taste
- 2 pie crusts (store bought or home made)
- 1Preheat oven to 350*.
- 2Sauté ground beef and pork with onions until no longer pink.
- 3In another pan boil and mash potatoes with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- 4Do not drain fat from ground meat mixture.
- 5Add crumbled soda crackers, cinnamon, thyme, sage and mix well, the crackers help absorb a lot of the moisture and gives it great taste and texture.
- 6Next add mashed potatoes and mix well. I cool this before putting in crust but it isn't necessary if your baking it right away.
- 7Use a deep dish 9 or 10 inch pie plate and line bottom with 1 crust.
- 8Fill crust and then place second crust over filling, press edges together to seal: cut slits in top crust.
- 9Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- 10This recipe may be made ahead of time and baked later, up to 24 hours ahead as long as kept refrigerated.
- 11Also can be frozen after prepared for a later date.
- 12I have started making this in 2 smaller foil pie pans and freeze one for another time. Each pie feeds 4 or 2 with leftovers.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Meat Pie
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 676.0
- Calories from Fat 346
- Total Fat 38.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 99.8 mg
- Sodium 647.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 32.3 g