Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the best (finally!) recipe for lemon bars that I've tried. And I've tried a LOT of them over the years. This is the winner hands down! Found in an old Good Houskeeping cookbook! (I still changed it a little, but very minor changes.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, plus
- 3 tablespoons flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice concentrate, can of course sub fresh
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -4 tablespoon powdered sugar (I used a LOT)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 13" x 9" baking pan with foil extending it over the sides a little. Lightly spray foil with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. I use a whisk.
- With pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle dough evenly into bottom of pan. Level, brushing with your hand lightly, then pat dough firmly into bottom.
- Bake 15-17 minutes until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in large mixer, beat eggs on high speed until thick and lemon-colored, about 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low, add lemon juice, sugar, baking powder, salt, and remaining 3 Tbl. flour.
- Beat until blended, scraping sides and bottom of bowl occaisionally.
- Pour filling over warm crust.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until filling is just set and golden around the edges.
- Transfer pan to wire rack.
- Sift powdered sugar (1 Tbl.-1/4 cup) on top over warm filling.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- When cool, lift out holding on to foil, and transfer whole thing to a cutting board or surface.
- When cool, cut into bars.
- Makes 24-36 bars.
10 stars! These turned out so wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to post such a great recipe with exceptional instructions. I will not need to look for anymore lemon bars recipes, this is it! I did use fresh lemon juice and I added the zest of 1 lemon to the filling. These came out looking beautiful as well as tasting delicious.
These were good with some minor modifications. Added about a tablespoon of lemon zest to both the crust and the filling.
We love them too! Excellent recipe with great lemon flavour! I added about 1 Tbsp of lemon zest since I had lemons on hand. Love the crust too! Thx Wildflour!