Recipe by P4
If you like feta cheese, you'll like this. Another winner from FC.
Top Review by miss gracie
I love both feta cheese and chicken, so a recipe that combines both just can't go wrong. This one was better than great - beautiful in appearance and wonderfully flavorful! I took your suggestion, PetitFour, and served it with orzo - a great combination. The only change I would make next time is to brown the chicken in my nonstick skillet. The stainless skillet did make a wonderfully brown sauce, but the chicken skin stuck slightly and spilled some of the feta. Thanks for a GREAT recipe!
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 lbs chicken pieces, rinsed,patted dry
- kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup water
- 18 small unpitted green olives
Directions See How It's Made
- Oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the feta, butter, rosemary and pepper to taste together.
- Using your fingers and a spoon, push the feta mixture under the skin of the chicken parts (except the wing), being gentle to avoid ripping the skin.
- Put some stuffing under the tenderloin portion of the breast.
- Season all parts well with salt and pepper.
- Heat an oven-proof dutch oven or a very deep oven proof skillet over medium heat until it's very hot.
- Add the olive oil and sear the chicken pieces, skin side down, until the skin is golden brown, about 4 minutes per piece.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, drain off the fat, and deglaze the pan with the wine and the broth.
- Return the chicken to the pan (skin side up), add the olives, and put the skillet in the oven.
- Bake until the juices run clear when pricked with a fork, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken and olives to a warm plate.
- Boil the juices over high heat until they reduce and thicken enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve with orzo or some other small pasta shape.