Recipe by ChamoritaMomma
Brings back memories of being stationed back in Hawaii.
Top Review by judi145
Wonderful recipe!!! In Texas the Guava juice is yellow (not pink like Hawaii brands) so I added 3-4 drops red food coloring to gel mixture. Used the strawberry cake mix. To lower fat and calories, I eliminated the cream cheese/cool whip frosting. Baked the cake in a 9x13 pan and spread on the cooled Guava gel..."onolicious". Best served cold. Thanks for helping me get back to my Hawaiian roots!!
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups guava juice
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
- 2 cups guava juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour round cake pans. Bake cake according to package directions, substituting guava juice for the water. Allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with hand mixer until fluffy. Add sugar and vanilla and beat until completely mixed and smooth. Slowly fold in the Cool Whip, combined well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring the 2 cups guava juice and sugar to a boil.
- Make a paste out of the cornstarch and a small amount of water. Remove guava juice from heat and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Return to heat and bring back to a boil for one minute. Allow this to cool completely.
- To assemble cooled cake:.
- Thickly ice the cake with all of the cream cheese mixture. Glaze the top of the cake with guava gel. Refrigerate until ready to serve.