Recipe by vincy bramblett
This chicken pot pie recipe takes a little time, but it is WELL WORTH IT!! This is an all-time favorite in our family. Great on a cold winter day.
Top Review by kfinkle
This is without a doubt the best chicken pot pie I've ever made or eaten in my life!!! My boys said, "it was da bomb", (meaning excellent). I had to double the recipe to make a big 9 X 13 pie to feed my gang, so I had alot of work ahead. I did all the prep work (minced the onion, peeled and diced the potatoes and carrots, and diced 1.5 lbs. of chicken breasts then cooked them in 2 cups of broth and a bay leaf) the day before then refrigerated it all until the next day, when once I made the top crust, it was a snap to do the rest. I just had to cook the already peeled and diced potatoes/carrots, warm the chicken in the micro and make the sauce. Ohhhh so delicious!!
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄3 cup melted margarine
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 2 pie crusts (either store bought or your own recipe)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Saute onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in margarine for 10 minutes.
- Add flour to sauteed mixture, stirring well, cook one minute stirring constantly.
- Combine broth and half and half.
- Gradually stir into vegetable mixture.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in salt and pepper; add chicken and stir well.
- Pour into shallow 2 quart casserole dish and top with pie shells.
- Cut slits to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and cooked through.