Classic Chicken Pot Pie
photo by Grandma Deb
- Ready In:
1 Pot Pie
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts, box (15 oz)
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- Heat oven to 425°F Make pie crusts as directed on box for Two-Crust Pie using 9-inch glass pie pan.
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened.
- Stir in chicken and mixed vegetables. Remove from heat. Spoon chicken mixture into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust; seal edge and flute. Cut slits in several places in top crust.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. During last 15 to 20 minutes of baking, cover crust edge with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this using leftover turkey. I cooked a couple of potatoes and some carrots while making the sauce. Also added poultry seasoning to the sauce Like Thanksgiving in a pie and really economical! Looks like it takes a long time but really goes together quickly especially if you use the frozen crusts (I made my own using most incredible no fail pie crust, recipe 28943). Delicious!
see 3 more reviews