Recipe by ladyfingers
Originally from A Taste Of The Country cookbook.
Top Review by MissPenny
I just love this soup. The method of cooking the beef gives this soup such depth of flavor and the saurekraut gives it a little zing. I have been making this recipe for years and always look forward to the cold months when I can make it again.
- 2 lbs beef bones with marrow
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 coarsely chopped and pared carrots
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 8 cups water
- 8 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (1 head)
- 2 (1 lb) cans tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (1 lb) can sauerkraut
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beef bones, onions, carrots, garlic and bay leaf in roasting pan. Top with short ribs; sprinkle with type and paprika.
- Roast, uncovered, in 450 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until meat is brown.
- Transfer meat and vegetables into a large kettle.
- Using a small amount of water, scrape browned meat bits from roasting pan into kettle.
- Add water, cabbage, tomatoes, salt and Tabasco; bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Skim off fat, and add parsley, lemon juice, sugar and sauerkraut.
- Cook, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Remove bones and short ribs from kettle.
- Cool slightly and remove meat from bones.
- Cut meat into cubes and return to kettle. Cook 5 minutes longer.