Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a easy to prepare, flavorful and very tender pepper steak. Serve over rice or egg noodles. If you like your green pepper crisp, add to crock pot the last couple hours of cooking time. This is an adapted recipe from Allrecipes.
- 907.18 g beef sirloin, cut into 2 inch strips
- garlic powder (to taste)
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 59.14 ml hot water
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 2.46 ml red pepper flakes
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 411.06 g can stewed tomatoes, with liquid
- 44.37 ml soy sauce
- 4.92 ml white sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- Sprinkle strips of sirloin with garlic powder to taste.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat, brown beef strips.
- Transfer beef to crock pot.
- Crush and mix bouillon cube with hot water until dissolved, then stir in cornstarch until dissolved.
- Pour into the crock pot with meat.
- Add red pepper flakes, onion, green peppers, stewed tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar, and salt.
- Cover, and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- ** If you would like to thicken the sauce for gravy, mix 1 TBS cornstarch with some water and stir into crock pot 1/2 hour before complete cooking time.
Oh Bev, I was surprised how delicious this was ~ DD even had 2nds, and she is picky-picky. But she (and we) loved the tender flavorful beef, and the seasoning level was just right and served it over wild and brown rice. Thanks for a new recipe for the keeper cookbook. Made for Potluck Tag, Jan 2009.
This is a wonderful meal for a weeknight or anytime. I cooked it overnight, refrigerated and then reheated. It was served for a small gathering of friends and everyone really enjoyed. The bouillon added enough sodium for my taste so I omitted the additional salt. There was no need to add additional cornstarch as the broth was thick and rich. This will be a repeat.
I have made this many times and is always a favorite! Easy crock pot meal.