Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Taken from Crock pot Recipes site (http://www.geocities.com/webcipes/crock.html); originally submitted by Jules on 10/20/00 to that site.
- 2 (21 ounce) cans cherry pie filling
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix, dry
- 1⁄4 cup butter, soften
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Pour pie filling into 5 qt crock pot; spread evenly.
- In a large bowl, combine dry cake mix with butter until it is crumbly.
- Sprinkle cake mix over pie filling.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Turn on crock pot to low and cover and cook 3-4 hours.
- Serve warm.
I added about 3/4 C plain flour and 1/2 tsp salt to the cake mix to cut the sweetness (add these until you think it tastes good/not too sweet, almost like a mildly sweet biscuit dough). I also added a pinch of salt to the cherry pie filling to cut sweetness also and to disguise any weird canned/fake flavor (add to taste). The butter I used was salted. I also added little dots of butter to the pie filling. Turned out very good and not too sweet.
Wonderful! I used fresh cherries from our yard, mixed with almond extract, cornstarch, and sugar. And I substituted toasted/glazed almonds for the pecans. Going to try it as a peach cobbler next!
A fantastic recipe, I used a small crock pot and halved the recipe using half the cake mix and 1 can of pie filling because I mad it for 2 people and it still lasted 3 days. will make many more times with different fruit!