Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A combination of several recipes plus my own innovations. Very hearty. Serve with corn bread.
Make and share this Crock Pot Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried baby lima beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried great northern beans
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 cups water
MEAT AND VEGETABLES
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 cup diced smoked ham
- 1 cup diced Little Smokies sausage
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced and fried crisp,reserve 2 tbs bacon grease
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon, crystals
- 2 teaspoons msg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon A.1. Original Sauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons rendered bacon fat
- RINSE AND SORT BEANS AND PUT IN LARGE POT WITH WATER AND SALT.
- BRING TO BOIL AND BOIL FOR TWO MINUTES.
- TURN OFF HEAT, COVER, AND LET STAND FOR 1 HOUR.
- RINSE, DRAIN, AND TRANSFER TO CROCK POT.
- COMBINE ALL INGREDIENTS IN 6 ½ QUART CROCK POT WITH 10 CUPS WATER.
- COOK ON LOW FOR 8 HOURS.
- REMOVE HAM HOCK.
- CUT OFF USEABLE MEAT AND RETURN MEAT TO POT.
- REMOVE BAY LEAVES.
- FOR THICKER SOUP, STIR IN 1 TBS CORN STARCH MIXED WITH 2 TBS WATER.
- COOK ON HIGH FOR 30 MINUTES TO 1 HOUR.
- ADJUST SEASONINGS TO TASTE.
- Makes enough to feed a Third World Country or two teen-agers!
Oh so good, and the leftovers made great lunches all week! It took me more than 10 minutes to prepare, but it was worth it.
This was very good after simmering in my crock pot all day. I didn't have the various meats; I just used smoked sausage and it was wonderful. Next time I would add a little less water. The soup was a bit watery even after adding the cornstarch. Very tasty, though.