13 Bean Crock Pot Soup
photo by MarlaB7
- Ready In:
- 12hrs 10mins
- bean soup mix (2 cups of 13 bean soup mix)
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup ham, cooked & diced
- 2 leeks, sliced (white part only)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped (or 8 baby carrots cut in thirds)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water (*or substitute some broth for part of the water. I always keep some Herb and Garlic Broth-Aigo Bouido in the freezer an)
- Place beans in a colander and sort through them, picking out any rocks or debris. Rinse the beans with water and then drain the water away.
- Place beans in crock pot and add the 6 cups of water. Put the lid on the crock pot (but don't turn it on) and leave the beans to soak in the cold water overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Pour the beans and water into the colander. Rinse gently, drain and return beans to the crock pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the crock pot and stir to combine.
- Set the crock pot on LOW and cook for 3-5 hours or until beans and veggies are soft.
- Serve with fresh garlic bread and enjoy!
This is a very good 13 bean soup recipe.....I had never added carrots and celery before but gives it even more flavor.....I had sweet basil out of my garden and also added one jalapeno pepper with only half the seeds as mine from garden were especially hot this year and I like a little extra kick.....I had a ham hock left over from Thanksgiving so used that for even more flavor.....I also added some homemade chicken broth and some beef broth as well...I will definitely use this recipe again and again....thanks for sharing.....
Pressed this recipe into service to accommodate my circumstance. I only made two changes. No ham, one ham hock. No crock pot, simmered in large stockpot on stove, very low bubble, for three to four hours. Perfect. This is a very good soup. I may revisit this review and give it five stars after I try some other bean soup recipes. I doubt I will lower it to three... (I need to use up all those magic beans my son brought home.)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi! I am happily married with two children, 26 and 12. For nearly 10 years when this site was Recipezaar and then Food.com I hosted several different forums. I enjoyed making, creating, reviewing, and photographing recipes, but what I miss the most are the friendships I made here. I was Food Editor for the Mill Creek View Newspaper in Mill Creek, WA. for about 4 years during that time. Currently I am the office manager at a small mental health clinic. I'm not on this site much anymore, but I do continue to appreciate and respond to all reviews posted to my recipes.