Crock Pot White Bean Soup With Bacon
photo by PaulaG
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 10mins
- 2 cups dried navy beans, picked over, soaked in water to cover overnight and drained
- 2 -3 slices bacon, cooked until the fat is rendered but not crispy
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 1 small carrot, minced
- 1 bouquet garni (1/2 tsp. dried oregano, 3 sprigs parsley, 1/2 fresh sage leaf and 1 bay leaf wrapped in cheesecloth)
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Combine the beans, bacon, onion, celery, carrot, bouquet garni and broth in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours.
- Remove the bouquet garni.
- Puree about one-third of the soup in a food processor.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cream if using, cover and continue to cook on LOW 15 minutes longer.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Newest Zaar Tag 2007 ~ This is definitely comfort food! I cut it down to only 1 cup beans and 3 cups broth but left the remaining amounts the same. There are only two of us and we practically devoured the whole lot of it! I would say definitely use the cream as it really adds to the flavor and gives it that great creamy base. A keeper in my book! Thanks mary!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have two boys who will usually eat most things I put in front of them. As a single mom I use them as my guinea pigs....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have a huge garden, blueberry and blackberry bushes. I am always looking for a new recipe. I have three cats (Xiao Mao, which means little cat in Chinese, Pumpkin and Max) and two border collies, Lucy and Grace. All my animals come from Rescue Agencies. <a href="http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/winecoff8902/?action=view¤t=rsc002.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/winecoff8902/rsc002.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/winecoff8902/lucyatpoppys005.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"><a href="http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/winecoff8902/?action=view¤t=006.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/winecoff8902/006.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a><a href="http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/winecoff8902/?action=view¤t=hilfiger001.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/winecoff8902/hilfiger001.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">