Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe from _125 Gluten-Free Vegetarian Recipes_ by Carol Feinster. Posted for ZWT 9.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 summer squash, sliced
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, fire roasted
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- hot sauce, to taste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (whisked into 2 T cold water)
- 4 cups basmati rice, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, for garnish
- In a large pan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini, mushrooms, bell pepper, and garlic, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce , Worcestershire, hone, chili powder, celery salt, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the sauce and cook over medium, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Serve over hot rice and garnish with parsley.
I actually used this as a side that incorporated both veggies and starch to accompany fish. Very easy to make and very tasty.
What a delicious way to serve a vegetarian dinner and not miss meat at all. We thoroughly enjoyed this meal and I will be making it again often. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Very flavorful vegetables, loved the combination of vegetables with the basmati rice. Made as written, except for the cornstarch. For the Holy Trinity Cooking Challenge. For ZWT-9 - The Apron String Travelers