Vegetarian - Rice Crust Pizza
- Ready In:
- 2 cups long grain white rice or 2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 4 cups water or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄16 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1/16 teaspoon red hot sauce
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, , divided
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium fresh tomatoes, , sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- RICE CRUST-----------------.
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- In a medium size saucepan, add rice and water or broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff rice with a fork and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cooked rice, beaten egg, mozzarella cheese and Tabasco sauce and mix well.
- Press mixture evenly into a lightly greased 12 inch pizza pan, covering bottom and sides.
- Bake in preheated 400 F oven for 4 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before adding filling.
- VEGETARIAN FILLING------------.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together tomato sauce, garlic, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, oregano, basil, Italian herb seasoning and black pepper.
- Spread sauce mixture over the bottom of the rice crust.
- Sprinkle over with 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese.
- Arrange sliced mushrooms, green peppers, red peppers, sliced tomatoes, and sliced red onion in layers.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of remaining mozzarella cheese over top.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Bake in preheated 400 F oven for 15 minutes or until cheese bubbles.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- You can also use chopped fresh broccoli as another vegetable.
Join The Conversation