Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is so good that we don't limit ourselves to just having it for breakfast.
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cinnamon raisin bread
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- sour cream
- In saucepan combine corn syrup, brown sugar, and butter.
- Melt until smooth and bubbly.
- Spread on 11 x 17-inch glass baking dish.
- Overlap bread like dominoes on the syrup.
- In large bowl combine eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Pour over bread.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Bake at 350 degrees, covered, for 50 to 55 minutes, uncovering last 10 minutes.
- The toast should be puffy and golden.
- Cut into 8 or 10 pieces and invert to serve.
- Top each piece with two Tablespoons sour cream and accompany with fresh berries or a cranberry or raspberry sauce.
I doubled this recipe and sent it to my USMC husband's shop for breakfast. It got awesome reviews. Apparently, one SSgt. in particular devoured about 1/3 of the giant pan before others could get any. Thanks for posting.
Absolutely delicious!!! I had regular raisin bread so I sprinkled cinnamon over everything before baking at 325F in a convection oven. I cut the recipe in half - since I was only cooking for 2 - and was amazed at how it puffed up. It didn't need sour cream or sauce of any kind & we're going to eat the leftovers for dessert tonight....thanx Mirj!!
Made this for breakfast today at work, and it was really well received. We didn't put anything on top of it, just ate it as is. It is so easy, and tastes so yummy. This is a definite keeper! Thanks again Mirj!