Recipe by Brenda.
Fast, easy, creamy, and cheesy! A great weeknight meal when you want something that will stick to your ribs but don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I found this recipe in my mom's recipe collection after she passed away and we love it! The recipe is very forgiving if you need to sub ingredients based on what you have on hand. Don't have broth? Use the potato cooking liquid with a tsp of chicken bouillon mixed in. No heavy cream? No worries, use all milk. I make a lot of soup when the weather turns cold and you know what they say about Wisconsin.... we have 2 seasons, Winter and Road Construction... we eat a lot of soup- LOL :)
Top Review by o2cookkdaily
this soup was the bomb delicious. My family loved it next time I will double the recipe because after dinner everyone was getting there containers to take some to school or work the next day.
- 3-4 medium red potatoes, scrubbed and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 709.77 ml water
- 1 small onion, diced fine (or 2 tsp granulated onion)
- 59.16 ml butter
- 59.16 ml flour
- 2.46 ml red pepper flakes (to taste)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 473.18 ml milk
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 4-5 slice bacon, crumbled (or 1 cup of diced leftover ham)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add potato cubes and stir to make sure they are just covered with water.
- Cook potatoes until fork tender, maybe 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and set aside.
- In a large pot melt butter over medium heat and stir in onion. If using real onion cook until just translucent.
- Stir in the flour and cook stirring constantly for at least a minute to get rid of the raw flour taste. (If you've never worked with roux it will look like a really thick paste at this point. That's great- keep stirring :) ).
- Add red pepper flakes and salt & pepper.
- Slowly add the 1 cup of broth stirring as you pour it into the roux. Stir until smooth.
- Start adding the milk and cream and stir until smooth.
- Bring the mixture up to a low simmer stirring constantly. Simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sugar and the shredded cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir in Bacon or Ham and potatoes and cook for 1 minute to heat potatoes thru.