Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Add mushrooms and saute until tender.
- Combine flour and broth until smooth,stir into the mushroom mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 min.
- or until thickened.
- Reduce heat.
- Stir in the cream,salt and pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring often.
What a great soup for a cold day! It's just as good as any canned cream of mushroom soup, but without all those nasty chemicals they have to use. I subsituted skim milk for the half-and-half and added a little bit of garlic as well.
My first cream of mushroom soup that I made. Turned out great. I did use heavy cream instead of Half and H, since that's what I had on hand. I imagine this will be the only cream of mushroom recipe that I will ever use. Thanks for the keeper.
This was absolutely delicious. I added garlic powder and a little cayenne powder too. It's a keeper!