Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
This is a dairy free "cream" soup, enhanced with any of the garnishes. It is simple and benefits from a well flavored stock
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon soy margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into 2 " chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 6 cups water, with 2 bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt free herb and spice seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup canned great northern bean, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
Garnishes(choose any 2-3 of the following)
- 1 cup steamed finely chopped broccoli floret
- 1 cup steamed chopped escarole or 1 cup kale
- 3⁄4 cup steamed fresh green peas
- 1 large red bell pepper, steamed,cut into strips (from 1 large pepper)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh herb (such as a combination of parsley, dill, chives and oregano)
- Heat the oil or margarine in a soup pot and add the onion and garlic.
- Saute over medium heat until the onion is golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, potatoes, water (with vegetable bouillon cubes already mixed in), and seasonings.
- There should be enough broth to cover all but about an inch of the veggies.
- Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently covered until the veggies are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat Transfer the vegetables from the soup pot to a food processor or blender and puree in batches until smooth.
- Puree about half of the beans with each of the two batches of vegetables.
- Transfer the puree back into the soup pot, stirring it back into whatever liquid remained.
- Let the soup stand for 1-2 hours before serving, then heat through as needed.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish the tops with 2-3 garnishes.
This soup recipe was a great inspiration to me. I added 8 oz. fresh mushrooms and used a bag of frozen cauliflower instead of fresh. I also did not puree the soup. We all loved it.