Prep 24 hrs
Cook 15 mins
East meets West in this unique blend of cranberries with other fruits. Makes a nice change of pace from the traditional cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving. Great as a sandwich spread with cream cheese too :)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 12 ounces cranberries, fresh (or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup peeled diced apple
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Bring water and sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add remaining ingredients; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Pour into a glass mixing bowl (acid foods can react with metal bowls).
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on chutney.
- Cool to room temperature; then refrigerate overnight, covered with plastic wrap, so flavors blend.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Use as an accompaniment to meats such as turkey or use as a Sandwich spread with bagels plain or with a layer of cream cheese.
This recipe is so fabulous it made a cranberry lover out of me! I absolutely love the flavour twist on the traditional ingredients! I cut the sugar in half and omitted the raisins. The walnuts are a must.
This was the best chutney I've ever had - and I don't even really care for it! I did add a teaspoon of orange zest and 1/2 of an orange (diced). YUM! Next Thanksgiving a double batch will do better.
I've been making this recipe since last winter and realized I never posted my review, so here it is: Loved this! I prefer pecans, so I used them instead of the walnuts. I took it to an extended family party at Christmas and it was gone fast - people used it on sandwiches, with their turkey, we poured it over softened cream cheese and the kids scooped it up with crackers and celery, etc. It stores well, I even tried freezing it and it came out OK. I've made several batches of it; this is now our official recipe - no more cranberry sauce from a can! Thanks for sharing it!