Grilled Steak Sandwich With Poblano Cranberry Chutney
This is the ultimate grilled sandwich. Thinly sliced sirloin steak that has been generously rubbed with chili powder, sandwiched between melting Havarti cheese and slathered with a spicy poblano-cranberry chutney. Oh yum! Developed for Craze-E Contest.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup cranberries (Either fresh or frozen.)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1⁄8 cup pistachios, chopped
- 3⁄4 - 1 lb sirloin steak, 3/4 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 8 slices bread, good quality
- 8 ounces havarti cheese (8 deli slices)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Cut the poblano pepper in half, remove the seeds and place under broiler until charred. Put the pepper in a bowl, cover and allow to stand while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- In a medium size saucepan lightly saute the red onion in a small amount of olive oil. Stir in the cranberries, water, orange juice, orange zest, brown sugar, ginger and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and cook until cranberries pop and juice thickens. Remove from heat. When the poblano is cool enough to handle, remove the charred skin, finely dice and add to the cooked cranberries along with the raisins and pistachios. Cover and refrigerate. The finished chutney should be thick about the consistency of jam.
- Mix together the chili powder, salt and cumin. Rub into the steaks and allow to rest at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes or can be prepared several hours ahead and refrigerated. Prior to cooking the meat, remove from refrigerate and allow to come to room temperature. The chutney should be removed from the refrigerate and allow to come to room temperature.
- Grill meat on indoor grill until medium. Weather permitting the meat can be cooked on an outdoor grill. Tent with foil and allow meat to rest for 10 minutes then thinly slice.
- To assemble the sandwiches, lightly butter 1 side of each slice of bread as for grilled cheese sandwiches. Turn the plain sides up, top each with a thin slice of cheese, spread each bread slice with cranberry chutney. On 4 of the bread slices, layer the sliced steak and then top with second bread-cheese slice.
- Place bread buttered side down on heated grill or heavy skillet. Grill until golden, flip and cook the other side. Serve and enjoy.
- Please note: Canned poblanos may be used. There may be extra chutney that is delicious served alongside the sandwich.