Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From a May 2001 Cooking Light article on hiding soy in desserts. My whole family loved this creamy dessert with lots of crushed oreos, even my husband who hates tofu. They had no idea it contained soy and I'm sure not telling!
- 1 (12 1/3 ounce) package reduced-fat firm tofu, drained
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 10 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed (Oreos)
- 8 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (Oreos) (optional)
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. Place tofu mixture in a large bowl. Fold in whipped topping. Pour mixture into freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Stir in crushed cookies during last 5 minutes of freezing. Spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze 1 hour or until firm. Garnish with whole cookies, if desired.
This was good! If you leave out the cookies and add a little cocoa powder it tastes like a Wendy's frosty....of course, I added the cookies too! :)
I had wanted to hide the "secret" ingredient from DH, but he walked through the kitchen at the wrong moment and saw me blending the tofu. However, upon tasting the final product he kept shaking his head in disbelief and asking, "Is there really tofu in this? I can't tell!" I will try this tofu base again with variations. Thanks so much for a wonderful lowfat ice cream recipe!
WOW I love this ice cream. I used mori nu light firm silken tofu. The tofu is really what makes this ice cream so rich and creamy tasting. Instead of frozen whipped topping I used dream whip which worked very well. I also used coarsley chopped cocoa teddy grahams instead of oreo cookies. I wanted my mom (who is diabetic) to be able to eat little bits of this ice cream and so didn't want the icing between the oreo cookies. I used a little less than 3/4 cup of the teddy grahams which worked perfectly. This ice cream froze nicely and didn't freeze solid when left in the freezer. This will be a definite regular. I am so glad I made this recipe! Thank you so much LonghornMama!!! :)