1/1 Photo of Combination Chop Suey
1 hr 5 mins
This comes from the "Cooking Class-Chinese-Cookbook". I used Napa cabbage which I never had before. I thought it was very good. It gave the dish a nice flavor to me. Instead of the green beans, I used some Chinese vegetables (the kind with the noodles in) plus all the other vegetable in the recipe and served over rice; so good! I also cheated and used chicken tenders to cut back the prep time. I sauteed the chicken until it was done but not browned. I also used precooked shrimp.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 whole chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 head bok choy (about 8 oz) or 1/2 head napa cabbage (about 8 oz)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces boneless lean pork, finely chopped
- 4 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, diagonally cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 8 ounces medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced bamboo shoots, drained
- steamed rice
- 1Combine chicken and broth in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove from heat. Let stand until chicken is cool.
- 2Remove chicken from broth; set aside. Strain broth; refrigerate or freeze for another use. Remove and discard skin and bones from chicken; coarsely chop chicken.
- 3Finely chop cabbage with large knife or cleaver.
- 4Combine cornstarch, water, soy sauce and bouillon granules in small bowl; set aside.
- 5Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. Add pork; stir fry until no longer pink in center; about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- 6Add cabbage, beans, celery, onions and carrot to skillet; stir fry until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Stir soy sauce mixture; add to skillet. Cook and stir until sauce boils and thickens, about 3 minutes. Add chicken, pork, shrimp and bamboo shoots. Cook and stir until shrimp turn pink and are cooked through, about 3 minutes. Serve over hot steamed rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Combination Chop Suey
Serving Size: 1 (583 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 625.5
- Calories from Fat 313
- Total Fat 34.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 203.2 mg
- Sodium 1928.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 59.1 g