Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe I found on-line at the TOH site. It states that this marinade makes the meat so so juicy and adds a great flavor. Preparation time doesn't include marinading time.
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup brewed coffee (strong)
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 lbs boneless beef top sirloin steaks (1 inch thick)
- In a small skillet, toast sesame seeds in butter. Add onion and garlic; saute until tender. In a large bowl, combine the coffee, soy sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and sesame seed mixture.
- Pour all into a large resealable plastic bag; add steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade from steak. Grill steak, covered, over medium-hot heat for 6-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Enjoy the steak.
This turned out well and the flavor was good. I couldn't really taste the coffee, though. It mainly tasted like soy sauce. Also, the butter really didn't stay incorporated since it congealed in the fridge. Therefore, I probably could have used less, or even added the garlic and onion to the marinade raw. I marinated my steaks for about 24 hours because it is more convenient for me that way. Although there is really nothing wrong with this recipe, I probably won't use it again because it tastes a lot like one I already use that has fewer ingredients and less fuss.
I really really liked this as a steak marinade and I would use it again. I think it would work for chicken or pork as well. I especially liked the sesame seeds in it! I marinated the steak for about 20 hours and I could have marinated for longer because our steaks were about 2" thick. This steak rocked! :) Made for PRMR. Thanks!
Great recipe. Makes the steak very tinder.