Recipe by Pamelamb
From Cooking Light. These amazing cupcakes taste like they came straight from a bakery! The recipe calls for potato starch but I haven't been able to locate any. Instead, I substituted it with corn starch and it still tasted delicious. These are only 196 calories per cupcake!
Top Review by Snowpeas
I needed a nice, refreshing buttercream recipe for a cake I was baking. I used this one, and wow! It is absolutely delicious - and I'm not a frosting lover! Perfect for a summer day. The lime really gives a nice light refreshing kick against the heaviness of butter. Lovely! Will have to try the cake recipe next!
- cooking spray
- 4 1⁄2 ounces flour (approximately 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons potato starch (or corn starch)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon half-and-half (you can also use fat free half-and-half)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 3⁄4 ounces powdered sugar, sifted (approximately 1 1/3 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Place 2 muffin cup liners in each of 12 muffin cups. Coat liners with cooking spray.
- To measure flour, weigh or lightly spoon it into measuring cup and level with knife. Combine flour, potato starch, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl and whisk.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar and 2 tbsp softened butter in a large bowl and beat with mixer at medium speed until blended. Blend until the consistency is similar to damp sand.
- One at a time, add egg and beat well then add egg white and beat well.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in coconut and vanilla.
- Spoon cupcake batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350F for 18 minutes or until surface springs back up when lightly touched in center.
- Prepare frosting. To do so, combine 3 tbsp of softened butter, half-and-half, grated lime rind, and lime juice in a medium bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Spread approximately 2 1/2 tsp of frosting onto each cupcake.