1/2 Photos of Chipotle Beef Stew
2 hrs 10 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
I found this recipe on Epicurious, and it really caught my eye. I love the way the chipotles give the stew a light smokiness. It's almost as if it were prepared over a campfire. And of course, anything spicy is definitely good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 -2 canned chipotle chile
- 1 -2 tablespoon adobo sauce (from canned chipotle chiles)
- 1/2 cup beef stock or 1/2 cup water
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can hominy, rinsed and drained
- flour tortilla (optional)
- 1Season beef to taste with salt and pepper.
- 2Brown beef on all sides in oil in a large skillet, but do not overcrowd pan.
- 3Add onion, garlic and cumin to skillet.
- 4Cook, stirring, until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add tomato puree, chipotles, adobo sauce, and stock or water to meat, mixing well.
- 6Simmer, stirring occasionally, over low heat, until meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours (if stew starts to dry out just add some beef stock or water).
- 7Add hominy to pan and cook for 15 minutes more, or until dish is heated through.
- 8Check dish for salt and pepper, if needed.
- 9Serve in bowls with warmed flour tortillas, if desired.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 634.3
- Calories from Fat 373
- Total Fat 41.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 117.3 mg
- Sodium 460.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 35.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: