Spicy Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Ready In:
- 200 g new potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 1 hot chili pepper, sliced and seeded if desired
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 250 g boned and skinless chicken, diced
- 2 roasted peppers, diced (I use the jarred variety)
- 750 ml chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped coriander
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan and soften the onions, garlic, ginger and chilli for 3-4 minutes.
- Increase the heat slightly and add the leeks and potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover and let cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the leeks begin to soften.
- Stir the chicken and cook until it browns in patches.
- Now add the peppers and the stock.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until the chicken is tender and cooked through and the potatoes are also cooked.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning before serving.
- Sprinkle over some coriander.
- You may also like to add a bit of lemon juice.
Join The Conversation
My boyfriend is sick and i was looking for a soup recipe that was spicy. i also wanted it to have garlic. I took a lot of artistic liberty with this great recipe and it turned out great. First I used two Serrano peppers and a half of a jalape?o. Then I used a grilled Mexican pepper....I followed the recipe as far as all the other instructions but I also added a couple of handfuls of spinach and added a little Italian seasoning. Oh... I also used 5 cloves of garlic.