Amazing Chicken Tortilla Soup!
photo by DianaEatingRichly
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup non-fat tortilla chips (optional)
- Sauté onion, garlic, jalapeño and green pepper with olive oil in a large pot until soft.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients to the large pot and bring to a boil.
- After about 15 minutes, remove the chicken breasts and shred.
- (Two forks work well to pull the chicken apart!).
- Return shredded chicken to the pot and simmer an additional 45 minutes.
- Serve, topped with crushed tortilla chips if desired.
Questions & Replies
DH, who considers himself a tortilla soup connoisseur, said "Baby, this is the best tortilla soup I have ever had, hands down." And then he helped himself to another huge bowl. :) I changed a few small things: 1 bag of frozen southwestern corn mix instead of plain corn; 1 can of green chilis instead of jalapeno; 1 can of tomato paste instead of tomato sauce; omitted the white wine; added a can of drained/rinsed black beans, 4 stalks of celery (chopped), 2 small zuchinnis (sliced thick) and a teaspoon of smoked paprika. Served with sour cream, chips and sliced avocado, then emailed the recipe to everyone I know. Everyone who has tried it, raves about it. Freezes very well. Freeze in portion-sized freezer safe bowls, then take to work and pop in the microwave for a fast, tasty lunch. This is a 10 star recipe. Healthy and delicious.
See edit at bottom:<br/>Wow!!! THIS IS FABULOUS!! Didn't have to adjust very much at all. Used Rotel instead of canned tomatoes, omitted tomato sauce, used my homemade stock (Recipe #24576 Lennie's Rescued Turkey stock) which didn't require me to use canned broth since my stock is concentrated and I add water to that. I was a bit worried as it simmered and I tasted it that it would be too spicy even for us, so I added a dollop of sour cream to our bowls and we both lapped it up. Served with a side of guacamole, sour cream and tortilla chips on the side and crushed in the soup... and salad. What a great cold night meal. We both LOVED this!<br/>ETA: This freezes extremely well! 8/23/2011 - I don't know why I forgot to put stars on so many reviews. Updating to add the very deserved 5 stars to this FABULOUS recipe. I have to say, this is my FAVOURITE recipe here.
How do I keep losing Chicken Tortilla soup recipes? Well, I made this one tonight and saved it... and it's a keeper. It was pretty easy and delicious! I went a little light on the chicken (1/2 the meat from a 2# rotisserrie chicken) and added a can of black beans (drained). I didn't have jalapeno, so I used 1/2 a serrano... they are spicier. I didn't have green pepper, so I swapped 1/2 yellow and 1/2 orange. I also put out sour cream, cilantro, diced avocado, and chopped olives for additional garnish/nutrition. It's a generous 10 servings! Also, throwing in some crushed chips is a lot easier than frying cut tortilla strips, which is what was required in my previous recipes. It looked super tomato-ey when I was making it, but it tasted perfect!